We're in the process of updating the documentation for Zotero 5.0. Some documentation may be outdated in the meantime. Thanks for your understanding.
Zotero is an open-source project committed to providing the best research tool available anywhere. Our philosophy is that what you put into Zotero is yours, and one of our founding principles is to make it as easy as possible to take the fruits of your research where and when you want it and to share it how you like–or to choose not to share it at all.
We are a nonprofit organization and have no financial interest in your private information. However, some of Zotero’s advanced features require you to supply us with information; for example, Zotero synchronization requires you to transmit your Zotero library data to our servers. You should note that participation in these services is up to you and can be adjusted at any time in your Zotero preferences.
Data we collect
- Zotero logs access to our websites, including the IP address and time of requests.
- Zotero collects the information you voluntarily provide when you register and use Zotero services.
- Zotero collects the library data you provide if you choose to synchronize your library with the Zotero servers.
- Zotero logs the IP address, time, and version information of daily translator/style update checks. Automatic updates can be disabled in the Zotero preferences.
- Zotero collects anonymized information regarding broken site translators. This can be disabled in the Zotero preferences.
- Zotero does not share your private data with third parties.
- When you register for Zotero services, Zotero may use your data to provide a better user experience, including customizing content for you.
- Zotero may also use anonymous and aggregated user information for auditing, research, and analysis to operate and improve Zotero technologies and services.
- We offer you choices when we ask for personal information, whenever reasonably possible. You can find more information about your choices in the privacy notices or FAQs for specific services.
- We make good-faith efforts to provide you access to your personal information upon request and to let you correct such data if it is inaccurate and delete it, when reasonably possible.