Jobs at Zotero
Zotero is an open-source project that develops software to help people collect, organize, cite, and share their research. Our software is recommended by most universities and used by millions of students, scholars, scientists, and researchers worldwide.
We’re committed to providing equal employment opportunity and a work environment free from any discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, or pregnancy status.
We’re building our first iOS app, and we’re looking for an experienced iOS developer to lead that effort. You’ll be the sole dedicated developer of a highly anticipated app that people will depend on every day for important work, so you should have a demonstrated track record of building and releasing substantial, real-world iOS apps. This is a great role for someone self-motivated who can work independently but still wants to be part of a team — we’ll work together to plan and design the app, but for the most part we’ll count on you to turn those designs into a real product. As a core Zotero developer, you’ll play a critical role in coming up with new ways to help people manage their research more effectively, on iOS and beyond.
We’re a small, remote-only, international team, and barring the occasional falafel summit when a couple of us find ourselves in the same city, we communicate almost entirely via chat rooms and GitHub. We have a highly collaborative but often asynchronous workflow, and you’ll be in control of your own schedule. Most importantly, you’ll participate in a vibrant global open-source community, working on meaningful software with amazing community developers and passionate users.
- Experience building substantial, real-world iOS apps
- A desire to build software that people love, and a constant drive to make it better
- Strong opinions about how software should work, with the empathy to understand how it’s used in the real world
- Willingness to engage directly with users in the Zotero Forums to troubleshoot problems and discuss new features
- Strong attention to privacy and security issues — Zotero is designed to put users in control of their own data, and we factor that into every decision we make
- Strong English communication skills — we discuss and debate nearly everything we do, so it’s critical that you can (and want to!) take part in that
- A love of free and open-source software
- Previous remote work experience
- Ability to contribute to other parts of the project — iOS will be your primary focus, but there’ll be plenty of opportunities to work across the stack
- A good design sense — while you definitely won’t need to design the app alone, it’s great if you’re able to produce clean, professional-looking interfaces on your own
Note: This is a full-time, open-ended, contract position.
Interested? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Zotero iOS Developer”, let us know why you’re interested in working with us and why you think you’d be a good fit for this role, and include your résumé.