Many of Zotero's features can be customized via the Zotero preferences window. Open the preferences by clicking “Edit → Preferences” (Windows/Linux) or “Zotero → Preferences” (Mac). You can also press
The Preference window is divided into the following panes:
- General: Adjust appearance, import settings, and other general features.
- Sync: Set up data and file syncing.
- Search: Manage PDF fulltext indexing and see relevant statistics.
- Export: Set default settings for generating bibliographies and citations.
- Cite: Add, remove, edit, and preview citation styles and install word processor plugins.
- Advanced: Zotero data location, library lookup, and other advanced settings.
In addition to the preferences shown in the Zotero preferences window, Zotero has a number of hidden preferences that only can be changed by opening the Config Editor under the Advanced pane of Preferences.