To install the plugin by hand,
- install the plugin Firefox extension (you can skip this step when using Standalone).
- Find and open your Firefox profile (if using Zotero Standalone, the default filepath will be almost identical, but have “Zotero” instead of “Firefox”)
- In your Firefox/Zotero profile open the folder extensions/zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org/install, where you you can find a copy of the file Zotero.dot
- Find your Word startup folder using the instructions below. You should now have two folders open: The Word startup folder and the “install” folder containing Zotero.dot
- Copy the Zotero.dot file to your Word Startup folder. (Be sure to copy the file rather than moving it.)
- Start (or restart) Microsoft Word to begin using the plugin.
The correct folder can be found in the Options window of Word:
Word 2003 and earlier: Open the Tools menu and click Options. Under the 'File Locations' tab you will find the Startup directory.
Word 2007 or later: Click the Microsoft Office Button in the top-left corner (in Word 2010 the “File” tab replaces the Microsoft Office Button), and then click Word Options. Click Advanced. Under General, click File Locations. The Startup folder should be listed there. Select it and click modify. Placing the cursor in the location bar at the top of the window will allow you to copy the complete path to the Startup folder. Click Cancel to close the dialog.
The default startup folders of Word are:
Word 2000, 2002 (XP), 2003, 2007, and 2010 under Windows 2000 or XP
- C:\Documents and Settings\::username::\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup (::username:: is the user name of the currently logged-in user)
Word 2000, 2002 (XP), 2003, 2007, and 2010, 2013 under Windows Vista, Windows 7 & 8
- C:\Users\::username::\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Startup (::username:: is the user name of the currently logged-in user)
On non-English systems or in certain custom setups, these locations may be different.