Zotero Web API v3
This is the default version of the API, and it is recommended for new development.
Please post questions regarding the Zotero API to the zotero-dev mailing list.
Known client libraries for the Zotero API (all versions) include:
- https://github.com/fcheslack/libZotero (PHP and Python)
- https://github.com/shazino/SZNZotero (Objective-C)
- https://github.com/urschrei/pyzotero (Python)
- https://github.com/clioweb/phpZotero (PHP, no longer maintained)
The API forms a fundamental part of several projects, including:
- The online library view at zotero.org, which is built using the same API
- Zotpress, a WordPress plugin for including citations to items in your Zotero library in blog posts. The plugin makes extensive use of the read API and implements both key-based and OAuth for access control.
- phpZoteroWebDAV, a WebDAV implementation in PHP which allows users to sync their attachments to their own webservers, including an online library and attachment view building off the read API. (AGPL)
- Scanner for Zotero, Android app which saves items to Zotero libraries using the write API (Java, GPL-licensed)
- Zandy Android app using the read and write APIs to provide full access to Zotero libraries (Java, AGPL-licensed)
- ZotSpip, a SPIP plugin to synchronise a Zotero library with SPIP (a content management system). References can be presented in web pages and searched through a dedicated webpage. A complementary plugin (BiblioCheck) allows a research unit to manage corrections to apply to the unit bibliography. (PHP)
- BibBase A web service that makes it possible to embed a list of Zotero publications in a web page (e.g., for personal publications pages).
- Kerko A web application component for the Flask framework that synchronizes with a Zotero library to provide a user-friendly yet powerful search and browsing interface for an online bibliography. (Python, GPL-licensed)