This position has been filled.
The Zotero project is looking to hire a full-time, contract developer to help extend the Zotero ecosystem. At first you will work primarily on a specific new tool. If all goes well, we’d hope and expect that you’d be interested in remaining a full-time paid member of the Zotero team longer term.
Initially, you’ll be designing and building a pluggable server-side tool to bridge the Zotero API and external services — think IFTTT for research data. You’ll be building both the base program and one or more sample plugins to help guide the tool’s development and serve as examples for other users of the tool.
Beyond the initial contract, you would begin working on other parts of Zotero, with the ability to focus on the things that interested you. That might mean improving the client or website, extending the API, optimizing the cloud infrastructure, or building back-end services to power new features. As part of a small team, you’d have responsibility over core components of the project and the freedom to find creative solutions to challenging problems. Most importantly, you’d participate in a vibrant global open-source community with amazing community developers and passionate users.
The Zotero development team meets periodically in person, but you’ll primarily be working remotely, communicating with Zotero developers and users via chat rooms, forums, mailing lists, and GitHub. Our hours are flexible and variable: we might be debating a feature request at 1 p.m. or deploying a major upgrade at 1 a.m.
- Experience working with and/or developing web APIs (HTTP/REST/JSON)
- Experience with command-line Linux/Unix systems and services
- Comfort using version control (e.g., Git)
- Strong attention to privacy and security issues
- Willingness to participate in an open-source community
- Experience with open-source infrastructure software: MySQL, Memcached, Redis, Node.js, Elasticsearch, Hadoop, or other tools you use to solve difficult problems involving lots of data
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience building user-friendly front-end software used by many people or the back-end services powering it, or both
Please send a cover letter and résumé, including relevant programming projects and experience, to email@example.com with subject line “Contract Developer”. We will begin considering applications immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.