Zotero is an open-source project that develops software and web services to help people collect, organize, cite, and share their research. Our software is recommended by most universities and used by millions of students, scholars, scientists, and researchers worldwide.
We’re building our first Android app, and we’re looking for an experienced Android developer to lead that effort. You’ll be the sole dedicated developer of a highly anticipated app that people will depend on every day for important work, so you should have a demonstrated track record of building and releasing substantial, real-world Android apps. This is a great role for someone self-motivated who can work independently but still wants to be part of a team — we’ll work together to plan and design the app, but for the most part we’ll count on you to turn those designs into a real product. As a core Zotero developer, you’ll play a critical role in coming up with new ways to help people manage their research more effectively, on Android and beyond. Most importantly, you’ll participate in a vibrant global open-source community with amazing community developers and passionate users, working on a product you can feel proud of that’s making a difference in people’s lives.
We’re an international, remote-only team. In happier times, we meet up occasionally around the world (falafel is often involved), but you’ll primarily be working remotely, communicating with Zotero users via our forums and Zotero developers via chat rooms and GitHub. We have a collaborative but often-asynchronous workflow, and you’ll be fully in control of your own schedule.
What We’re Looking For
- Experience building substantial, real-world Android apps
- A desire to build software that people love, and a constant drive to make it better
- Strong opinions about how software should work, with the empathy to understand how it’s used in the real world
- Willingness to engage directly with users in the Zotero Forums to troubleshoot problems and discuss new features
- Strong attention to privacy and security issues — Zotero is designed to put users in control of their own data, and we factor that into every decision we make
- Strong English communication skills — we discuss and debate nearly everything we do, so it’s critical that you can (and want to!) take part in that
- A good design sense — while you definitely won’t need to design the app alone, it’s great if you’re able to produce clean, professional-looking interfaces on your own
- A love of free and open-source software
Interested? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Zotero Android Developer”, let us know why you’re interested in working with us and why you think you’d be a good fit for this role, and include your résumé.
We’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive team that reflects the diverse, global community that uses our software. We strongly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented groups to apply.