Gavin Robinson : Curriculum Vitae
- Horses, People and Parliament in the English Civil War: Extracting Resources and Constructing Allegiance (hardback: Ashgate, 2012; paperback: Routledge, 2017).
- 'The Military Value of Horses and the Social Value of the Horse in Early Modern England' in Peter Edwards, Elspeth Graham and Karl Enenkel (eds), The Horse as Cultural Icon (Leiden, Brill, 2011), pp. 351-76.
- 'Equine Battering Rams? A Reassessment of Cavalry Charges in the English Civil War', Journal of Military History 75/3 (July 2011), pp. 719-31.
- 'Horse Supply and the Development of the New Model Army, 1642-1646', War in History 15/2 (April 2008), pp. 121-40. (Open Access PDF with new preface.)
- 2013-2018: director, Different Hand Ltd, doing manuscript transcription and data cleaning.
- 2012: freelance transcriber, 1624 Parliament project (History of Parliament Trust).
- 2012: freelance transcriber, pilot project for Mortality and Epidemiological Change in Manchester, 1750-1850 (Newcastle University and Cambridge Population Group).
- 2011-12: freelance transcriber, The Origins of the Modern Demographic Regime: Infant Mortality by Social Status in Georgian London (Newcastle University and Cambridge Population Group).
- 2008-9: freelance transcriber, Life in the Suburbs (Centre for Metropolitan History and Cambridge Population Group). (Outputs at SAS Space, including St Botolph Aldgate parish register database.)
- contributor and admin at Linking Experiences of World War One
- contributor at Marine Lives
- contributor at Lives of the First World War
- my old blog, Investigations of a Dog (2006-2013)
- organized the military history blog carnival (2007-2009)
- contributor, then moderator, at Your Archives, the UK National Archives wiki (2007-2012)
- peer reviewer of The Programming Historian (1st edition)
- Sandall's History of 1/5th Lincolnshire Regiment: A Digital Edition. I produced this digital edition of an out of copyright regimental history of the First World War.
- helped Ben Brumfield to test his From the Page collaborative transcription and indexing software.
- PhD in History, Reading University, 2001. Thesis: 'Horse Supply in the English Civil War 1642-1646'.
- MA in Military History, Leeds University, 1996.
- BA first class honours in History, Reading University, 1995.
- three-year fully funded PhD studentship, Reading University Research Board.